Oh the Burden of it... I know that I am not the "brightest crayon in the box", but I pride myself in having the ability to differentiate between what is a dumb mistake, and what is just plain and simple fucking stupid. I work daily amongst people, and since moving back home and having "upgraded" to a city of aprox 3 million whom are constantly making "asses of themselves with acts of vanity, ambition and plain stupidity," So today I had one of those "moments"...
On my lunch break I decided to call my auto insurance company and change from Ohio insurance to Kentucky, not a big deal... or so I thought. I have no idea what state that they connected me to all I know is it was somewhere south, and I hope to God that it wasn't in Kentucky. I explain to the lady what I am calling for. The woman who was taking the call, after a awkward pause asks where Kentucky is, and as I tried to explain to her, she interrupts and says, "Look, I’m not stupid or anything, but what state is it in?"
WHAT DO YOU SAY BACK TO THAT?
Seriously? Do you come back with, "are you really this stupid?"... do you let is pass and just say it over again, do you calmly explain, and hope that she might get it? That statement really leaves you no where to go. As I informed her that Kentucky was a state all to its self, I could tell that she had no idea what she has asked me, nor did she care, which made me think as a educator, what the hell is going on in the school systems these days. It is so disheartening to see uneducated people out in the world functioning. Statistically 17 percent of Americans can not read or write, and while that is disturbing in and of its self, what makes me even more sick is the fact that on top of that 35 percent are functioning illiterate, and are able to read and write their name, and form 3 letter sentences in writing
The lesson I learned today: I understand that people have to start at the basics of anything before they can get any better (which is why we have a education system), but for the love of all that’s holy (Eskimos in their bucket sized cold fusion reactor powered, whale fat covered, electric blankets) do these people not think before they speak? Do they not have the simplest form of common sense?? watch tv, read articles on the web, ask people, learn mistakes others’ made, experiment on your own computer or borrow books from a library before you make a ass of yourself out in the real world. I understand that everyone makes mistakes but how many uneducated people are we going to push out into the world before we realize that there is a problem??
No comments:
Post a Comment